- Research Projects
- Polysaccharide-based Biodegradable Polymers, Synthesis and Characterization
- Sustainable Energy Generation and Storage
- Sustainable Production of Biofuels from Domestic Lignocellulosic Wastes using Extremophiles
- Center for Advanced Manufacturing and Production (CAMP)
- Black Hills Hydrologic System and Water Resources
- Wastewater treatment and electricity production
- Sustainable Infrastructure Materials
- Big Weather Web
- Math & Science Standards
- Course Registration
- Example Lesson Plans
- Discussion Board
- Q & A
Sustainable Energy Generation and Storage
Research mentor: Dr. Alevtina Smirnova, Department of Chemistry and Applied Biological Sciences.
This laboratory was sponsored by SDBOR in 2013 with necessary equipment for synthesis of the materials related to the fuel cells, batteries, and supercapacitors, and the equipment for their morphological and electrochemical analysis, assembly, and testing. Dr. Smirnova (PI) and a post-doctoral student are collaborating with the University of South Dakota and South Dakota State University on NASA EPSCoR ($750,000 for 3 years). She is also the institutional PI of the NSF EPSCoR ($1,000,000 for 3 years) for the project synthesis of high-value organic products from biomass and lignin.
SD-RET Research Project: The SD-RET RAs will work with the research mentor and the post-doctoral student on the development of Lithium-ion batteries and fuel cells. During project, the teachers will make a lithium-ion battery and test it, assemble a fuel cell and generate electricity, make a supercapacitor, and identify the materials that can be used for energy generation and storage devices.
The SD-RET RAs will gain profound understandings on:
- the principles of energy generation and storage,
- the importance of green energy for environmental control and protection,
- energy sustainability and the ways to achieve it,
- sustainable energy as a part of green chemistry initiative, nanomaterials for fuel cells, batteries, and supercapacitors, as well as their applications,
- the importance of solar energy, solar cells and power generation, and advance hybrid solar-cell/battery designs.